Saturday, October 30, 2010

The Location of God

Salam Kasih

Dear Brothers & Sisters

This poem is taken from The Brihadaranyaka Upanisad 2:1.1-3, 6-7, 10, 12-13


There was once a priest called Gargya, who was proud of his learning. He went to King Ajatasatru, and said: 'I am willing to teach you abaut God.' The King replied: 'I shall give you a thousand cows if you can do that.'


Gargya said: 'There is a soul in the sun which shines by day; and that soul I venerate as God.' The King responded: 'How can you say that? I regard the sun only as the source of brightness.'


Gargya said: 'There is a soul in the moon which shines at night; and that soul I venerate as God.' The King responded: 'How you can say that? I venerate the moon only as the source of wine.'


Gargya said: 'There is a soul in wind and fire, and that soul I venerate as God.' The King responded: 'How can you say that? I regard the wind as like an army, and fire as like a powerful empire.'


Gargya said: 'There is a soul in the sound of people as they walk, and in their shadows, and that soul I venerate as God.' The King responded: 'How can you say that? I regard the sound of people's steps as a sign of life, and their shadows as a sign of death.'


Gargya said: 'There is a soul in the human body, and that soul I venerate as God.' The King responded: 'How can you say that? I regard the body simply as the covering of the soul.'

Gargya now fell silent.


C. Cetho, 13 Juli 1993

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thank you for sharing the informative blog. It is indeed wonderful to read and useful. For
know more about us, please visit: download sunderkand.